Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Mother Mary


Happy Birthday Ma!

My Mother was born before the Depression, and married my dad after he came back from the South Pacific and WWII. She raised five pretty good kids of her own, and God only knows how many of other peoples. My house was where everyone ended up. Some of my earliest memories were of an overflowing dinner table. My youngest brother's friends, my youngest sister's friends, my friends... and my oldest brother and sister had already moved out before I was born.
A voracious reader, and a plethora of knowledge, I got my love of books from her. She was a Sunday School teacher for a lot of years, so she taught and is loved by several generations of our small community.
She turned 45 on the day she brought me home from the hospital, a time when most moms were getting done raising kids she had me. She already had one grandson and added a wild child of her own.
I have to say I was probably pretty rough on her, not being much for looking before leaping and I am by far the family leader in scrapes, scars, bruises, and general mayhem.


So, Happy Birthday Ma, I hope it's a good one. Thank you for taking me to see Star Wars in the theater. Thank you for letting me do what I had to do without too many I told you sos. Thanks for letting me come home whenever my world fell apart... even when it was my fault. Thank you for being understanding, even when you didn't understand. Thank you for remembering all my good traits without going on too much about all my bad ones. Thank you and Happy Birthday. I love and miss you.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At November 15, 2005 9:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful. That made me tear up.

 
At November 15, 2005 7:14 PM, Blogger K-nine said...

Thank you, It's hard to write badly about such a good subject.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home