Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Bumper Snickers

OR:
I drive the highways and byways around here quite a bit, (Not odd since I live here) and I have been taking notes.
Bumper stickers abound. I don't have one on the Jeep, I never liked sticking stuff all over my car.
All over the place I see "Keep Austin Weird", "Longhorns #1" and so on.
Due to some things I'd heard and read I started noting political stickers in particular. Austin is a hotbed of political activism. I've noticed that cars with "W" stickers on them usually only have the one sticker. Sometimes maybe a church or radio station sticker, but usually just the one.
Same with the "Texas Democrat" sticker. Just the one. (of course some of these people are Dems just because their parents were, and that just because Lincoln was a Republican) They usually have them on the bumper or the window where they can be removed easily.
However the ones that have a circle-slash "W" are different. They tend to abound with insults and slogans. "No Blood for Oil", "I could have been a Republican, but my parents were married", "Not My President" and on and on and on. Lots of it is hate filled rhetoric aimed at people like me in the vehicle behind them. They paste them all over their cars like some force field to protect them from evil, straight, white, conservative males. All over the paint, the bumper, the window.
This seems to be the case with "John Kerry" or "Kerry/Edwards" stickers. I even saw one with a campain poster taped in the back window... this week. Lots of anti Bush stickers, anti war sentiments etc. Some even have old "Al Gore" stickers still on them. I'm now looking for the Trifecta... an old Volvo with a Gore sticker, a Kerry sticker, and a Hillery '08 sticker... I'm a little disapointed that I haven't seen one yet.
This isn't a commentary, just an observation. Tell me what you think.

2 Comments:

At September 22, 2005 7:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you ever noticed that the cars with all of the hate stickers on them usually have a peace sign somewhere in there? Presumably announcing to those around them, most of whom don't give a rat's...
what they think or who they voted for, we just want them to move when the light changes, "I am for Peace. I hate everybody."

HMMMM.....

Now that I see it in print....not such an outlandish sentiment. There might just be a good bumper sticker in there......., but I digress.

Don't worry K-nine. I haven't "crossed over" to the dark side. I'm still a Republican money lover. I paid too much for my cars to put twenty five cent stickers all over them.

Any potential Granola attack mobs be advised - I lived in Boone, NC a.k.a. Hippie Central for 6 years, have real tie dyes, not the ones from WalMart, love animals, am a vegetarian, and have more trees and critters on my property than most nature preserves.

 
At September 23, 2005 2:08 PM, Blogger K-nine said...

What now? I thought we were the "dark side"... Aren't we the racist, gun loving, Bible thumping, anti welfare, kill for oil hate mongers? That's what all those bumper stickers tell me.

Oh, yeah... Happy Birthday JRB. Love ya... Mean it...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home