Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Free Advice

I've always heard it said that there is nothing more costly than free advice. Not many people out there would peg me as a wise man, but I've had more than my share of experience. A friend of mine just had a baby, and I just attended the baby shower of another friend who is pregnant.

I was sitting in a bar last night soaking up some blues (and some bourbon) when I decided to jot down a few thoughts for a newborn. Simple things that I should have done, tried to do, and need to remember myself. Feel free to add your own in comments.

It's better to try and fail, than to wish later on that you had tried.

If you tell a lie, it had better be worth sustaining, because you will have to tell it for the rest of your life.

Nothing you say can EVER be fully taken back.

Anything anyone tells you is "the worst thing that can happen" isn't.

No, you can't be anything you want to be, but you had better damn well try.

Never hate. Hate takes energy. Anyone you are willing to hate is not worth the effort.

Say what you mean, mean what you say, look 'em right in the eye and never... Never back down from something you truly believe in... Ever.

That's it. The accumulated wisdom of thirty-six years. Good luck.

Oh yeah, almost forgot:
You don't have to be able to outrun the lions, just be able to outrun the slowest antelope.

7 Comments:

At December 15, 2005 1:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You missed one that my grandad said and is so very true:
"Never gamble more than you are willing to lose." Key point... WILLING, NOT AFFORD. This quotation applies to blackjack and the stock market and he did just fine upon it.

 
At December 15, 2005 6:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, that reminds me of one my dad used: "Root for the team you want to win, bet on the team that's going to."

 
At December 19, 2005 9:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's one....
Never, ever, open a microwave oven in K-nine's kitchen.........

and...

If your dog goes trash can diving more than once and you have a cabinet built especially to house your trash can, but refuse to use it, don't call the dog dumb......

and finally, one from Mom of K-nine
.....

"Dear, if two people agree all the time, they never argue, beware. At least one of them is either stupid or a lier."

Can't accuse either one of us of that one........

Love ya'-
JRB

 
At December 20, 2005 10:55 AM, Blogger K-nine said...

Actually what my Ma says is "If we agree on everything, one of us is unnecesary."

your other two are hardly life lessons. Pppbththththththth!

 
At December 20, 2005 9:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey if I was good at life lessons would I be here now? And, Mr. Know It ALL, that's not the way she said it when I first heard it. She modified it for the situation.....

By the way, if you don't think the first one is a life lesson you weren't as afraid as I was of that blob crawling ever closer to the door of the microwave.....

 
At December 22, 2005 9:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you two get a room!!!

 
At December 22, 2005 4:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can't be in the same room together-haven't figured that out yet?!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home