Thursday, November 30, 2006

Voice For The Past

Yesterday I got to talk to some 6th and 7th graders about the War Between the States. I went in full Confederate uniform with a .58 cal Enfield with bayonette, a Colt .44 army, and personal accoutrements. I started out by asking if they knew what I was dressed as, and went from there. I was pleasently surprised by their participation and interest. I did much less lecturing than answering questions. I got inquiries ranging from "would you use a knife like that to kill someone quietly?" to "Why did Texas join the South instead of the north?"
I let the kids see some replica stuff like currency and of course the uniform. I also showed them some real artifacts such as a hook knife and eating utensils. I showed them pictures of re-enactments I've done, and managed to keep from saying anything bad about Abe's administration. We talked about different types of soldiers (Infantry, Artillery and Cavalry), who carried what type of weapons, sizes and ranges of cannon and the like.
Some of them are also reading "The Red Badge of Courage" So I talked about punishments for different crimes from bucking and gaging for theft to being shot for desertion. I was a little nervous talking about shooting your own men, but the teacher was nodding and the kids seemed to take it in stride. Mrs. Peterson took some pictures, and if and when I get my hands on them I'll post a few.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At December 02, 2006 3:28 PM, Blogger Jean said...

Excellent... that's how history should be taught!

 
At December 02, 2006 10:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I KNEW they'd love it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home