Monday, July 02, 2007

Reel Lines (11) Sunday Matinée

Holly Golightly: What do you do, anyway?
Paul Varjak: I'm a writer, I guess.
Holly Golightly: You guess? Don't you know?
Paul Varjak: OK, positive statement. Ringing affirmative. I'm a writer.

Yesterday I found myself with some time to kill, so I thumbed through the Austin Chronicle for a tip on what to do with two and a half hours. The Paramount Theater had a Sunday afternoon showing of Breakfast at Tiffany's. Not one of my favorite movies, but a decent film none the less. So off I went.The Paramount is a grand old theater... Not like those cold sterile things you see nowadays. Built around 1915 it still serves for stage and film. I've been there to see Leo Kottke twice, Tom Rush, Joe Satriani with Eric Johnson and Dave Grissom, and a wonderful Scottish Christmas music program that my artsy friend Eva gave me tickets to. This was the first time I'd come to see a film here. I bought my ticket at the box office outside, a real ticket taker in a bow tie tore it. I made my way to the bar (Oh, yes... The bar) and got a Maker's and Coke, a small popcorn and some junior mints. I made my way to my seat just as the opening credits were rolling. I took some pictures of the screen and of the theater, but I forgot to bring my camera with me to post them. Maybe later.I know that I knew in the back of my mind that George Peppard was in this film, but I guess I forgot. Remember, I was a pre-teen and teenager in the '80's so to me Peppard was Col. John "Hannibal" Smith of the A-Team.That notwithstanding, it was a great way to escape the hectic everyday life that I live. I think I'm going to make this part of my routine now. Not every Sunday, but they have shows throughout the week. Tonight is The Asphalt Jungle with Marilyn Monroe in her film noir stage. We'll see if I can work it in.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home