Thursday, October 11, 2007

Naked Lunch Specials VI


The Landing Strip is located out on Hwy 183 east of downtown, all the way out by the airport... Thus with the double entandre it earns itself points for the wittiest named strip joint I can think of. The Landing Strip also just happens to be the one used in the film Varsity Blues with James VanDerBeek and Jon Voit. (The football scenes were filmed in Georgetown, Tx about 400 yards from where I'm sitting now) This was my first trip here so let's explore together, shall we?
The Landing Strip sits on the north side of 183 back off the highway all by it's lonesome. A little rustic setting and kind of off the beaten path it seemed to me at first, then I realized it's only a few minutes from my house so maybe not.
Not really anything outstanding about the outside, but they were working on the parking lot so they are on top of things.
A friend of mine (To remain nameless) met me outside and we went in together. There is a little entrance foyer with a cashier booth and the restroom entrances. We were both ID'd... I'm almost 40 and he's older than me so they definately are on top of things. We looked at the lunch special board and then down a short hall into the club. The club itself opens up to your left with first a raised (I assume VIP) area then the main floor. the bar is on the right hand wall the DJ booth on the back wasll and the main stage on the left wall in the center of the floor. There were a couple of smaller stages here and there, but not in use during the day. The decor is classic strip joint... Mirrors, mirrors, mirrors. Nice place though, clean and nicely painted. A little dark at first, but I adjusted
After we sat a waitress was there fairly quickly, I ordered my normal Vitamin G and my compatriot got a Coke. I ordered the $5.99 NY Strip with the optional $1 extra for baked potato, He got the $6.99 grilled chicken. The Guinnesses were $4.50 each and the Coke was $3. The service was a little slow. Not anything to really complain about, just slow for the number of customers at that time of day. (And if you're curious the dancers weren't all that agressive either. We were never approached for a table dance, and they had songs in between the girls on stage.)
After the food got there I have to say it was pretty good. The steak tasted like a stake, and while the potato wasn't huge, it came with all the trimmings on the side (butter, sour cream, shredded cheese and real bacon bits). His meal came with the potato and even a little house salad. Not much to add. It was a decent lunch. The total after a second beer was $26 and change (for both of us) I paid and he picked up the tip. Not bad for two guys, a steak, a chicken and a couple of beers.
A fairly decent dining experience.
On to the sliding scale:
Service: 7 (Good, but not in a hurry at all)

Food: 6 (The steak was OK, and so was the Potato... But only OK)

Atmosphere: 7 (nice place, but no life, not at noon anyway)

Value: 9 (two beers, and I was satisfied when I walked out the door... Plus an entire second meal for $26)

Total: 7.25 (All in all an OK dining experience)

The next stop on the Naked Lunch Tour is undetermined at this point. Will let you know.

If you have a club in your area you would like to review (Food only please, my mother reads this) send a write up to alphaknine@hotmail.com and I may post it. Or if you are in the Austin area and have a club you would like me to visit and review, or would like to join me for lunch, just place in comments.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At October 11, 2007 7:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Obligatory Oink.......

 

Post a Comment

<< Home