Friday, August 01, 2008

Swimmingly

When I awoke this morning I was looking directly into Jack's big brown eyes. He was propped up on the bed face to face with me. Too early. I put my hand over his face and shoved him down on the floor.
Now all I could see was the ass end of his body past the edge of the mattress... His little stub tail... Wag, wag, wag, stop... Wag, wag, stop. Damn, but he is too fucking cheerful and optimistic in the grey light of morning.
I, on the other hand, am not. I dragged myself out of bed and to the bathroom while Jack ran around in circles.
Today was supposed to be a gym day... Well, it won't kill me to miss one or two of those as long as I don't make it a habbit. So, I pulled on a pair of shorts and a t-shirt and we went to the dog park.
It was pretty much deserted when we got there, so I grabbed a tennis ball out of the jeep while Jack peed on everything.
He has gotten a lot more focused about playing fetch over the last week or so. He also swims much better.
He really has to keep those back legs pumping to keep him up, but if there's one thing he has, it's excess energy. Two weeks ago I never would have thrown the ball in the water, because it would have stayed right there.
Now, however, he's a champ at this game. Look at my boy go.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At August 03, 2008 10:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dogs like Jack and boys like Bones... its all about moving that energy around.

Bones has had trouble sleeping, so last night I took him on a 5 mile bike ride. A year ago, I don't think he'd have made it... confidence... like Jack and the water. But we did all five miles and he slept so well for the first time in WEEKS. I may have to make it a nightly ritual with him.

 
At August 03, 2008 10:38 AM, Blogger K-nine said...

You are such a cool mom.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home