Wednesday, November 05, 2008

A Democracy

...cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship. The average age of the world's greatest civilizations has been 200 years. These nations have progressed through this sequence: 'From bondage to spiritual faith; From spiritual faith to great courage; From courage to liberty; From liberty to abundance; From abundance to selfishness; From selfishness to apathy; From apathy to dependence; From dependence back into bondage.

-Alexander Fraser Tytler (1747–1813)

I make no great secret of my contempt for most of my fellow man. Sheeple I call them. I like individuals... I really don't like people very much.
In a Democracy, the people get the government they deserve
- Alexis de Tocqueville
Well congratulations, you are going to get what you deserve... And most likely more. What pisses me off, is that thanks to you, I'm going to get it too.
Bou, The picture will be up Friday.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At November 05, 2008 4:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not exactly a bet I enjoyed winning.

My husband said to me last night, 'Only bonus I see in this you don't have to put a picture of yourself in a bathing suit on the internet...'

 
At November 06, 2008 3:51 PM, Blogger DammitWomann said...

The picture will be up Friday.


he he he - That is "Tomorrow" now.

he he he he

 
At November 07, 2008 9:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We have now given the political party that if you are to look at facts instead of listen to rhetoric is largely responsible for our current energy and financial crisis the job of fixing the crisis and assigning blame for it. One overwhelming reason that this is happening is the careful management of the facts by the press, by emphasizing some and ignoring others a story can make any point appear to be valid.
When we left Viet Nam after winning the war on the ground and losing the war at home I was convinced that we would never be able to win another war conducted under the microscope of the press. I am now convinced that the press is by far the most powerful force in the world. It was a powerful force in the creation of this country and as long as the people of this nation choose to listen to words instead of look at deeds it will be our downfall.
The best lesson we should learn from this is if we choose to be spoon fed our facts we should be concerned about who is holding the spoon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home