Thursday, November 20, 2008

My Boy

I went out last night for a drink and a bite... I left Jack alone in the house. Usually when I'm at work he spends his days in the backyard keeping squirrels out of the birdfeeder. I used to worry that he was bored all day long, but the well worn trails of dead grass in the back let me know he is more than active...
Anyway, when I got home, in the very center of my bed was a running shoe and a tennis ball. He is always moving my shoes around. He never chews them or even slobbers on them as far as I can tell, he just moves them. The shoe was for comfort (He still has a little separation issue from his shelter experience) and the tennis ball was to play with.

This morning I awoke in the dark grey light of early dawn lying on my back with his head on my shoulder. Content and still, two things I never thought he'd be when I got him. I was adamant when he first came to live with me that he would not be allowed on the furniture, and definitely not in the bed. I have to say though, it's kind of nice. It's reassuring to hear his steady breathing and feel the warmth of him there.

It's still a little disconcerting to turn around in the shower and see him peeking in though.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At November 21, 2008 1:16 AM, Blogger Jerry in Texas said...

Is Jack a blue tick hound?

 
At November 21, 2008 10:35 AM, Blogger K-nine said...

Blue Heeler... Same gene gives them the blue ticking.
Heelers are Australian cattle dogs. Relatively new breed only 100 years old descended from dingos.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home