Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Faith In Dog

SYDNEY (AFP) – A pet dog that fell overboard in rough seas off Australia has been reunited with its owners after surviving alone on an island for four months, reports said...
I love stories like this. That is survival instinct to the fullest. Sophie the Blue Heeler swam fully 5 miles to an island and learned to survive on her own... And now she's back in the loving arms of her family.
One of Jack's distant cousins, no doubt.
I have a good friend who loves the Call of the Wild episode of Northern Exposure... Buck the dog running with his wolvish bretheren. I like to think that inside of me I have that same instinct.
How much can one take and still survive? That depends... How badly does one want to survive?
There have been only two times in my life that I thought about just giving up... The fight taken completely out of me.
The first time I didn't really recover from before the second time came around. I was just ready to give up and die. I forgot who I was... What I was...
Well, I remember who and what I am now, and I'll not let that creeping malaise take hold of me again. And if I do I'll just think about Sophie...
Sophie who refused to be swallowed up by the ocean. Who, once on her own, fought for survival beyond reason. Who because of her combination of intelligence and animal instinct lived to be with the ones she loves and the ones who love her in return.

Labels:

5 Comments:

At April 08, 2009 12:39 AM, Anonymous JRB said...

I just hope you don't have to eat baby goats, Hun.

 
At April 08, 2009 2:18 PM, Blogger KeesKennis said...

I have an ink that I think you will love at my place.

ourie

 
At April 08, 2009 4:33 PM, Blogger K-nine said...

Thanks for both the shout outs from the dark continent there Kees.

Liked the ink and wish I had taken that one myself.

 
At April 09, 2009 10:44 PM, Anonymous Doc said...

Amazing story, which makes this piece of canine-related news even sadder...Kenzie passed away on Sunday. Her kidneys were starting to fail and she had developed a pituitary tumor that was causing her to pant and tremble frequently. She also was having a hard time with her back legs - she could no longer get up on the couch and just getting up and down the steps to the back yard was a struggle - for the last few days, we were having to carry her down the steps to just go to the bathroom.

FWIW, I openly wept. I was sleeping next to her before I was sleeping next to Katie. Kenzie would have been 13 in July. Thought you would want to know and could sympathize.

 
At April 10, 2009 11:37 AM, Blogger K-nine said...

Sad news indeed my friend. I remember that little, slick, white, polka-dot, wiggly puppy running circles around my big rottie in the back yard on Shandra dr when I first came back from the Carribean.
Thirteen years... Where the Hell has the time gone?
Tears streamed down my face too when Rogue wandered off this mortal coil. I feel for you and Katie... and your little ones.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home