Saturday, June 20, 2009

Dog Tired

Jack in a very unnatural state... Asleep after 36
straight hours of playing and running around.

It's been awhile since I've given you any kind of update on my life. I really don't have a lot to tell right now. Work too much. Drink more than I should. Eat out a lot. That's about it for me.
Jack, on the other hand has come such a long way. He's becoming a really good dog. We still have work to do, but what a vast improvement over the psycho dingo I brought home.
He's still a shadow dog. Always at my side. If I get out of bed for a glass of water, he does the same. I go to the bathroom, he lays in the doorway. That will never change. I suppose that's OK. I'm getting used to it, and I don't trip over him like I used to. I have a Jack radar that alerts me if he's standing right behind me.
He's grasped the concept that "sit" means sit and stay sitting rather than sit, bounce up. Down... Not so much. He "high five"s like a champ. (We don't do shake, too pedestrian). Roll over... Maybe if he gets hit by a big truck. Maybe.
We are having a stand off with fetch. He loves the game, but short drops the ball, trying to make me walk to it. Nuh-uh. We are both hard headed as Hell, so it's a battle of the wills now. He's losing, but slowly. Very slowly. A friend of mine gave me a kong frisbee that Jack loved and did well with. (He'll be a good frisbee dog some day) but I threw it in the lake for Jack to fetch... Kong frisbees don't float. Jack stayed mad the rest of the afternoon. I'll have to buy another one soon.
He rides in the Jeep untethered, and will stay put unless I open the back door for him. I can go in the grocery store for 30 mins or more and he's right there waiting when I come out.
We still walk and run 7.5 miles a few times a week, and he still sleddogs a little, but not like he used to.
At the end of a long day when I drag my weary body into my big king size bed, it's comforting that I'm not alone. I have 45lbs of blue unadulterated loyalty and love.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home