Tuesday, March 08, 2011

I Know Jack

It occurs to me, that it's been a while since I've talked about Jack. Strong, smart, loyal, handsome Jack.
He was kind of a nightmare when I adopted him... But then again, so was I. He no longer sleeps with me... He leaves that to the Red Queen. Don't get me wrong, he still loves to snuggle, and will nap with me occasionally, but at night he has better things to do.
He is THE pinnacle in guard dogs. Padding quietly around the house, he notices everything. He can actually hear the neighbors cats outside... And if they get too close to the house, he is on the roof of the porch letting them know to get lost. He dozes in a chair in the upstairs hall, but he almost never sleeps... Day or night... ever. It's slightly disconcerting.
Daytime, around the house he is close to me. Not quite the velcro dog of his youth, but usually in the same room or just outside the door. Road trips, he is the earstwhile traveling companion.
I never spoke baby talk to him... not really. Maybe a few rhyming words here and there, but I tend to do that anyway. So he has a huge vocabulary, understands complete sentences. We actually have to be a little careful somtimes not to tip him off that he's about to be left home when we go out... Doesn't care for that, nope.
Yesterday, I told one of the contractors to come into the house and just meet me in the office. I let Jack know hew was coming. The guy was creeping through the house, looking over his shoulder (Jack has bitten a couple of the workers that he didn't trust). when he got to the office, Jack was sitting at my feet. He said, "I at least expected him to growl." I explained, "I told him you were coming in." He looked at me like I was nuts and shook his head. Jack just rolled his eyes... Some people are just non believers.
Anyhow, Jack has fulfilled most of his potential. He is a fetching and frisbee catching machine. he can heard and does a great job of keeping the yard cat free... without tormenting Merlin the house cat too much. He is an amazing alarm system and great home protection.
We share a lot of personality traits... Some of them good.

Labels:

5 Comments:

At March 09, 2011 6:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update on Jack - I've been wondering what he has been up to!

 
At March 09, 2011 8:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

... nicely said, sir..... I heard all of it....

...sorry!....

Eric

 
At March 09, 2011 10:18 PM, Blogger K-nine said...

Don't be sorry Eric... He's still alive, I was just giving him praise!

He had a blast at your house, by the way.

 
At March 12, 2011 2:38 PM, Blogger Omnibabe said...

He's such a great dog! I'm glad I had the pleasure of meeting him at Eric's.

 
At March 15, 2011 10:22 PM, Anonymous Bou said...

I love this post!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home