Friday, March 25, 2011

Round Trip

I've been digging through trunks of papers and pictures I found at a couple of old houses that belong to cousins that care naught for history. That's where I found yesterdays pictures. You'll see a lot of that in days to come.
One of the coolest things I found so far in my boxes of old papers is a letter from a small town teacher... To herself. In 1933 Richard Byrd made a second expedition to Antarctica. Part of the funding was provided by a program that allowed you to purchase a 3 cent stamp and for an additional 50 cents your letter would be taken to Little America in the Antarctic and mailed back to you... With the corresponding postmark, of course.

Rumor has it that FDR had a hand in designing said stamp. Strange. This letter had been to Boston, the bottom of the world and back to North Carolina, but then was stuffed in a trunk for 75 plus years to be found by me.

You can read more about the expedition here.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At April 04, 2011 7:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

.... very, very cool....... keep on collecting..... stuff like that needs saving..

Eric

 

Post a Comment

<< Home