Friday, March 18, 2011

You Can Tuna Fish

It's lent, and as such Catholics are asked to abstain from certain things... Meat on Friday for instance. The Red Queen is Catholic and I was asked nicely (snort) to refrain from cooking a hamburger for lunch in her presence. Me, being of such sweet disposition (choke) obliged.
Instead, I made my own personal tuna salad recipe.
I've never been a fan of tuna salad. Too flat and unassuming, and quite often bland despite the natural salt tang of tuna... So I made my own recipe.
Here it is:
2 5oz cans of tuna in water. Any brand will do, but I like Chicken of the Sea. If you want to get fancy, use white albacore, as long as it's in water, not oil.
1 stalk celery
2-3 BIG tablespoons sweet relish. I use homemade sweet pickles and chop them up myself, but not everyone has a big sister that supplies them with delicious home grown goodies
3-4 big tablespoons mayo. I like Kraft lite, but if you want sweeter go for Miracle Whip.
2 large hard boiled eggs. The eggs make it fluffier, adds a nice texture.
Boil the eggs first, because that takes the longest. For easy, perfect boiled eggs, place them in a pan of cold water covered by at least an inch of water. Bring to a boil. Turn off the heat and let sit 12-15 min. Cover eggs with ice water 5 min. Peel and chop up finely. I mash mine with a fork.
Open and drain tuna.
Quarter celery the long way then chop into small (Tiny even) pieces.
Add all ingredients into a mixing bowl and mix thoroughly.
If the consistancy seems off add more of any of the ingredients to taste.
Makes about 4 big sandwiches.
I usually just put on a couple slices of bread, lettuce, tomato... Maybe bacon, I'm not Catholic... and a hunk of cheese on the side, but it's good enough to eat right out of the bowl or on crackers or with potato chips.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At March 27, 2011 9:28 PM, Anonymous Bou said...

I commented on this before, and realize it didn't show.

This is how I make my tuna salad. I don't use Miracle Whip though. I use Duke's or Hellman's, like I do in my pimento cheese! I also put in finely chopped onion, perferably vidalia.

 
At March 27, 2011 11:05 PM, Blogger K-nine said...

I like onions, but raw they give me bad heartburn...

And I do make a kick ass pimento cheese too, if I do say so myself... Extra sharp cheddar and good mayo (NOT Miracle Whip) is the key there.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home