Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Heart Strings

Photo by K-Nine

Whilst out Christmas shopping I happened to run across this abandoned banjo from the 1920's.  I asked if it would care to come home with me.
"Meh" it said in a most uninterested way.
I touched its head and a muted but echoing snare drum sound sprang forth.
"Hmm?", said the Banjo.
I plucked gently at one of the two strings it had left and a louder than expected twang issued from its resonator.
"Ah..." the banjo sighed.
"Come with me," I cajoled. "Your life has not yet ended, you have but slept."
"Very well" replied the banjo, "but though I have slept, I am still greatly tired.  I may never sing as you want me to."
Home we came and I tuned the remaining strings as best I could and I played simple melodies a single note at a time.
Then we went to the music store. "I knew it!" wailed the banjo.  "It's been too long since I was loved".
"No," I soothed.  "This is but a short trip from home."
The young man at the store offered to replace the head which was split and stained.  I refused.  Strings and tuning were all that I required I assured him.
Now the banjo sings.  It feels at home with its neighbors of antiques and instruments and it is happy.


1 Comments:

At December 22, 2011 1:51 PM, Blogger Elisson said...

A vintage instrument for a Vintage Guy. Excellent!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home