Monday, July 31, 2006

Retro-Sexual

God, I hope this is right. At the pub yesterday some of the regulars were having a continued conversation that I wasn't privy to the beginning of, but the gist was that the trend of the metro-sexual was coming to an end. (And this is Austin, people, the bright blue spot in a big red state)


For those not up on the vernacular a metro-sexual is a (supposedly) straight male with the (supposedly) best features of a man and a woman. A guy with the style sense and sensitivity of a gal (or homsexual man). Think male fashion plate, think Barbi's ex, Ken. Think Queer Eye for the Straight Guy.


Apparently the retro-sexual is the older, out-dated (re-dated?) man's man. (NOT the SanFran definition of man's man, but a MAN'S man... Uh, that is I mean... Oh for cryin' out loud...) The tough guy, the Marlboro man, the no cryin'-hard workin'-beer drinkin'-unprimped-unpreened-unpampered-winning actually is everything-has a 5 o'clock shadow at 10am-real man, or as I like to call him... Me. A guy who is not afraid to hide his feelings. A guy who will not threaten to punch you in the mouth, but will just actually punch you in the mouth. A man not afraid to take a beating. Me, me, mmmeeuuuh... well sometimes me.


I don't know if this is true or not, but the women in the group seemed to think it was, and that's good enough for me. Remember folks you heard it here first... And guys, throw out your gels, your facial stuff, your shiny ribbed skintight shirts, and act like a man, damnit.

Labels:

7 Comments:

At August 01, 2006 10:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like you need a bigger jeep!
JB

 
At August 01, 2006 3:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think one of the best retrosexual codes is here: http://www.frizzensparks.com/archives/000104.html

He even made the newspapers nationwide with it.

 
At August 01, 2006 7:55 PM, Blogger K-nine said...

Ha, Bou. That's hilarious. I got the same list from another site. (click my pic)

 
At August 02, 2006 9:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Uh, nothing...
It's just too easy....

 
At August 03, 2006 11:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Clearly you are positioning yourself as the barometer of culture and the arbiter of hip.

Give me cargo shorts or give me death. I think camping takes place at the Marriott. Tents are for kids.

That's it for now, need to go get a massage :)

 
At August 03, 2006 12:53 PM, Blogger K-nine said...

Ha! Spoken like a true Metro.

I am not the barometer, I am (according to gossip) just the current pressure.

 
At August 03, 2006 5:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

.. Bou beat me to it.. yes, that code was written by Graumagus of Frizzen Sparks...

Eric

 

Post a Comment

<< Home