Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Greasy Kid Stuff

I have been feeling a little put upon these past few weeks. Work has been rough, and my personal life's no picnic either. I have been daydreaming about being a little boy in North Carolina a lot lately. Nothing in particular, just random thoughts.

The bench seat in Pop's Chevy truck. Hot sticky blue vinyl seats that smelled of mildew, sweat and stale cigarette smoke. Listening to country music on the am radio in the shade while Pop did something around the garden, yanking the steering wheel side to side pretending to drive.

The smell of mud and dirty water in a farm pond with a beat up rod and reel using beetle spinners to catch bream... and then just throwing them back.

Cut off bluejeans. A style I adopted from the middle brother (14 years my elder) whom I idolized. One year he got us matching football jerseys. His was a 7 mine 19.

Being afraid of the dark. Not the dark per se, but dark nights... Forcing myself to walk further and further away from the porch light and then that giddy feeling of running back to it's safety.

Tromping through the woods, just me and my dog, pushing down old dead trees like Hercules at the temple, and swinging broadswords made of branches like some demented knight errant.

Daisy BB gun. Enough said.

Having my sister-in-law (oldest brother's now ex-wife) drop me off at the movies (Jungle book with a Zorro pre-feature) and after Zorro not realizing that there was another movie, crying because I thought I'd been abandoned. Being ushered back inside (with fresh popcorn) and watching Mowgli and Balu and singing along with King Louie... "I wanna be like youuuuuuu... Walk like you, talk like you..."

Any road trip... "Ma! She's on my side of the car!"

Star Wars in the theater. I was so engrossed in it that I never realized until Ma told me years later that she spent a lot of the movie in the lobby talking to the snack vendor.


Lightning bugs and June bug shells. One year we saw a June bug shedding it's exoskeleton. we stood with a flashlight and watched the whole thing.

Dirt and leaves and sweat and sun and grass and trees and rocks... And being happy without knowing how happy I was.

4 days till my birthday.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At August 16, 2007 12:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

happy birthday from The Golden Isles, Myrtle Beach and then I'm heading to China.
Brandon, Tiff and Joey say happy birthday also.

 
At August 16, 2007 12:19 PM, Blogger K-nine said...

Thanks, brother! And happy birthday to Brandon as well. No international incidents while you're over there, eh. Call me and give me an update.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home