Saturday, August 02, 2008

Winey Baby

In my quest to expand my horizons, last night I decided to hit a relatively new place here in Austin.
Everyone knows that I am a quality beer and bourbon drinker. What not many people know is that I like good wine also. I don't really know a damn thing about wine per se, but I know good wine when I try it.
So, after calling to make sure their deck was dog friendly, Jack and I stopped at Uncorked Tasting Room and Wine Bar.
With a long name like that I was expecting a pretentious place filled with urbanites of the type that make my skin crawl... And there was some of that, but I actually found myself liking the place anyway.
It's located on 7th St. east of I-35 and the back deck offers a cool view of downtown from the capitol dome to the frost bank tower.
While the clientele didn't have a lot of use for a blue heeler and his black t-shirted, blue jeaned owner, our waiter Andrew was very friendly and informative. I had no idea what to try, so I told him I like dark beer, bourbon rocks and red meat. He told me to try the Nappa Vally flight. 2oz each of a zinfandel, a syrah and a cabernet. Very tasty, especially the Educated Guess Cab.
They also have meat and cheese plates, salads and the such. Next time you're feeling urbane and pretentious, stop by and try it out. It's definitely worth the experience.
UPDATE:

Labels:

2 Comments:

At August 05, 2008 9:00 AM, Blogger Bag Blog said...

My brother took us to some place down on SoCo that used to be a hotel. We sat outside and drank wine. Austin is so interesting.

 
At August 05, 2008 6:00 PM, Blogger K-nine said...

There's something for everyone... If you'll look for it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home