Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Walking Man

It gets dark early this time of year in Texas. By six the sun is all but a memory. In the summer months I was rushing home so I could get in a good four miles and take Jack to the dog park so he could run and I could look at pretty women before dark. Now it's dark before I get off work, so I go a little later.
It's kind of nice... Just me and Jack, the moon and the river. In between the songs in my ipod the crunch of my shoes on the gravel.
I've upped the distances. It started last week, but as of yesterday I made it my new plan. 7.5 daily M-F, depending on social life. 7.5 on Sunday morning. I was going to up Sunday to 12, and I may yet, but not just now.
Because I walk late, no one is at the dog park when we get there, so Jack has a quick swim and we're off again. If we really hump it we can do that loop in an hour forty-five.
It seems my thoughts run a little faster in the dark too. I suppose because there's less visual input. That's both good and bad. I dream less because my brain processes more crap, but I remember thoughts and memories now whereas the dreams would fade. It'll work out eventually I'm sure.


Moving in silent desperation
Keeping an eye on the holy land
A hypothetical destination
Say, who is this walking man?
Well, the leaves have come to turning
And the goose has gone to fly
And bridges are for buning
So dont you let that yearning
Pass you by
Walking man, walking man walks
Well, any other man stops and talks
But the walking man walks
Well the frost is on the pumpkin
And the hay is in the barn
An pappy's come to rambling on
Stumbling around drunk
Down on the farm
And the walking man walks
Doesn't know nothing at all
Any other man stops and talks
But the walking man walks on by
Walk on by
Most everybody's got seed to sow
It ain't always easy for a weed to grow, oh no
So he don't hoe the row for no one
Oh for sure he's always missing
And something is never quite right
Ah, but who would want to listen to you
Kissing his existence good night
Walking man walk on by my door
Well, any other man stops and talks
But not the walking man
He's the walking man
Born to walk
Walk on walking man
Well now, would he have wings to fly
Would he be free
Golden wings against the sky
Walking man, walk on by
So long, walking man, so long

-James Taylor

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At November 11, 2008 6:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

James Taylor held a fund-raiser concert for Obama. I'm done. Don't force your politics down my throat, sing to me.

 
At November 12, 2008 8:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

...amen to what jrb said......

 
At November 13, 2008 4:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm faster when its cooler. Nights are cooler. I need marathon day to be between 55 and 65 degrees the entire time. If it gets to be 75+, I'm totally screwed. That's coming from the girl who hates the cold...

 
At November 13, 2008 5:03 PM, Blogger K-nine said...

You have been a great inspiration to me Bou, Any time I think I want to stop, I remember how you keep going with flat feet and a busted ankle...

 
At November 13, 2008 9:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

.... Walking Man was always a great song.......... good luck in your search, K-Nine....... it will be a hard road....

Eric

 
At November 17, 2008 10:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you, Knine. That was a very kind thing to say!

As I sit here taking off my ice and bandages for the 2nd time today... GRRR.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home