Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Class Act

Just before I went on vacation this year I got a call from Mrs. Peterson. Last year Mrs. Peterson asked me to come talk to her 6th and 7th graders about the American Civil War. I went and had a great time. The kids were articulate, and intellegent and asked some great questions. A week or so later I got a handfull of cards from some of the kids. I felt like I did something good... Balanced a little karma.

So, when the call came this year I jumped at it. This morning I dressed in my Confederate grey and went to school.

Some of the same kids were there from last year, and some new students too. They were a little more shy off the bat so I started with a little government lesson, then moved into the personal life of a soldier. I touched on clothing, food, living conditions and by the time I got to weapons they were ready to get involved. Just like last year the questions were varied and well thought. They asked about states rights, furloughs, and penalties for crimes like theft and desertion. We discussed prison camps, and war crimes. I showed them the basics of loading and firing a rifle, and we talked about different types of ordinance. I had fun, and I hope this can become a regular thing. Mrs. Peterson also gave me pictures from last year's visit, so to end up, here's one:
I would love to post more pics, but I'm loath to post the faces of minors. Great bunch of kids though. Although...
That works.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At February 27, 2008 8:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

... good for you, big guy.... it's a good thing that you are doing for those kiddies....

Eric

 
At March 17, 2008 9:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How the heck did you manage to get that gun looking object onto the school grounds?

Windmillfixer

 
At March 18, 2008 5:51 PM, Blogger K-nine said...

Private Catholic School. I got permission to carry the firearms with the caveat that the students were not allowed to handle them, and there was no ammunition for them. I was also allowed to carry a hook knife and a bayonette.
I must admit that I was quite shocked that they agreed to it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home